Monday 14 May 2012

My newest obsession...



I love musicals, that's pretty much why I ended up studying technical theatre.  However I'd recently discovered a new favourite musical.  My love for it possibly over takes my love for Les Miserables, which is quite a big deal!

What is this mystery musical?  Well it's none other than The Lion King.




I went to see it in London as a late 21st birthday treat in March, with my friend Jodie.  We both love the film so we were expecting to love the musical just as much.  Except I totally underestimated how much I would love it.

I'm not even sure where to start without rambling so I think I'll just start with the beginning, Circle of Life.




It pretty much starts out how the film does.  The sun rises and all of the animals come to greet baby Simba.  That's the simple version.  However to be in the theatre with the animals (puppets/costumes/creations) parading down the aisles and looking down from the balconies was overwhelming.  Not to mention the attention to detail, the sun was shimmering as it rose and the lights gradually changed to reflect the dawn.  I've never seen something look so realistic on stage before.

I'm not going to lie, I was so overwhelmed by the beauty of this opening that within about 30 seconds of the song I was in tears.  I could go on and on about it for hours but I'll stop now before I bore you.  If you really do want to know more then feel free to contact me.




Other than the costumes and puppetry, I think my favourite aspect of the show was the music.  Nothing beats a live orchestra in a theatre setting and there is just something about the African influences that I adore.  Surprisingly it wasn't the songs from the films that became my favourites.  One of those songs is called "He Lives in You".  It's sung by Rafiki and Simba just before Simba returns to reclaim Pride Rock from Scar.  It's a wonderfully uplifting song that's loaded with emotion.  I hope you like it as much as I do!




Like I've already said, I could go on about this for hours.  If you want to know any of my other thoughts on this musical, or anything really, email or tweet me!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...