Sunday 29 May 2011

Oh Hollywood...

Why do you have to ruin things?...  I understand that sometimes you have to make the stories more interesting for the movie watchers but seriously you do some ridiculous things sometimes.

I just found out that there's a new film of The Three Musketeers coming out.  "Brilliant!" I thought.  I'm really into my period dramas and swordplay and things like that so this should be right up my street.

For those of you that don't know The Three Musketeers is a book written by Alexandre Dumas.  The story is set in the 17th century.  Obviously it's about three musketeers (Athos, Porthos and Aramis) and a young man named d'Artagnan who wishes to join the musketeers.  Let the sword fighting ensue!  (There's a pretty good plot summary in this Wikipedia entry if you want a more in-depth view.)

Sounds good no?  So from this little explanation what would you expect?  Horses?  Sword fights?  Maybe some romance or love interest?  And more sword fights?  Yeahh that's what I thought.  Have a look at the trailer for this new adaptation.




If you don't want to read my rambling thoughts about this trailer I suggest you stop reading now.

So I get all excited when I'm watching this but suddenly the first thing you see it someone who looks awfully ninja like with a weird mechanical weapon....  Ok I'm pretty sure we didn't have ninjas roaming about 17th century Britain but I'll let that one slide Hollywood.  Now for some dramatic, atmospheric music and talking.  Oooh pretty fireworks!  Hmm that guy jumping off that building looks awfully like something out of Assassin's Creed...  Not entirely sure even our most incognito of spies would have done that in the 17th Century...  That's some pretty cool camera work there, hey wait, why is that woman on top of the building?...  Woah woah woah did she just jump off???....  Or is she magically floating?  And is that a woman wielding a sword?!  She seems to be doing some sort of martial arts there too.  I didn't know that our resident 17th Century ninjas also taught the royalty how to do that.  Er... Why are there sails on that building?  What the.... IS THAT AN AIRSHIP?!  This is the 17th Century!!!! Airships weren't invented til the 18th Century.  Ok Hollywood that is one step too far for my liking.

Granted I will probably still go and see this film, though after seeing this trailer it seems Hollywood is more focused on making a movie with loads of special effects rather than sticking to a historically accurate plot.  They keep doing this in so many movies now, it's so disappointing that they seem to make movies revolving around how much action they can fit in, rather than having a good plot.

Hollywood, please stop ruining classic stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...