Friday 20 August 2010

Spaghetti Carbonara

Now I don't know about you but whenever I go to an Italian restaurant with my friends it's guaranteed that at least one of them will order this! Little do they know it's dead simple and quick to make at home! (Though if like me you're a student and don't have much money you won't be making this that often but it's a great meal to make if you want to impress!)


Spaghetti Carbonara

Ingredients
250g Spaghetti (though it works well with whatever pasta you want, I tend to use fusilli rather than spaghetti)
Cooking oil (whatever one you have in the cupboard! Or butter if you're feeling rich!)
6 rashers of bacon
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
150ml single cream (usually the smallest carton in the shop thankfully!)
2 eggs
50g of parmesan (the first recipe I used for this said only 25g but I like mine extra cheesy! It all depends on how cheesy you like things to be)
Black pepper

Method
1. Put a full kettle on to boil and make sure you have a large pan ready to cook the pasta in. (Pasta cooks better when you give it more room, don't ask me why!)
2. While the kettle is boiling chop up the bacon into small squares and finely chop the onion.
3. Fry these together, using the cooking oil/butter, until the bacon is crisp. (If you do want to use butter then I suggest adding a small amount of cooking oil anyway otherwise the butter will burn)
4. When the kettle has boiled pour it into the large pan you got out earlier, add a generous amount of salt and once this is boiling again put the pasta in to cook.
5. Crack the eggs into a large bowl and beat it gently. Then add the single cream and the parmesan and mix until it looks like a sauce! Add lots of pepper to this and stir that in. (Carbonara is traditionally a peppery sauce so I always add a little more than I think I need)
6. Once the pasta has cooked drain it and mix the bacon and onion into it.
7. Now you have to work quickly! While the pasta and bacon are still piping hot stir in the sauce until all the pasta is coated in it.
8. All you need to do now is put it on plates, put on some more parmesan if you want and eat!

WARNING!!!!!
Do not cook the sauce! If you do you will scramble the egg and you won't have a nice smooth creamy sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...